Thursday, September 5, 2013

Ten Tools Day 6

Have you ever bought a tool and instantly wondered how you ever did without it?  That happened to me recently when my wife got me an oscillating tool for my birthday.  I can't believe the number of things this tool will do.

If your not familiar with an oscillating tool you may be more familiar with the name "Multi-Master" made by Fein, the original and one of the most popular of these tools.  These tools operate by vibrating a blade really fast.  Most look something like an angle grinder and are about as heavy as one.  When looking for a tool watch for the number of amps, how loud it is, how heavy it is, and how expensive the attachments are.





The tools come with a variety of attachments that will all do a different job.  Below are just a few examples.  The blades are of different quality, just like any saw blade.  Some will last just a few passes while others will last a really long time.




My wife bought me a Master Mechanic 2.5 amp tool (Model #129315).  It came with a 34 piece accessory tool kit and a carrying bag.  It is quite a bit louder than some of the more expensive brands but it fit in my price range (around $50).  I have used the tool in countless ways: cutting off nails, getting to copper pipe in tight spots, sanding, scraping old caulk off window sills, grinding out grout, and cutting through base trim when installing a door (when the new casing is wider than the old).  I have been pretty impressed with everything.  I go through the blades pretty quick but I think its a good trade off for the time saved.

If you have any other questions check out Tool Select.com and type multi-tool into the search bar.  They have reviewed of a few different tools and even posted some videos of people putting them into action.  These are great tools to have handy and I believe every shop should have one available.  If yours doesn't suggest it to them or seriously consider getting one for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment