Monday, August 26, 2013

I'm Back

Ok, so things got really crazy for the last couple of years but I am going to try and update this a few times a month from now on.
Here's the update:

I no longer work maintenance :(  It was a hard decision but I got a job offer to work as a construction manager from one of my vendors.  I have always been passionate about the construction industry and this was my chance to switch into the field I studied for.  However, I haven't strayed far from multi-family housing.

My new company acts as a general contractor for rehabilitation projects on apartment communities!  My experience working as a maintenance supervisor was one of the major reasons they hired me.  My job is to help organize and run a job from the planning stages right up to handing the keys over to the customer. 

The last year has flown by.  Along with learning a new job the company has paid for training for me which has included getting my builders license and fire and smoke restoration training.  I have been meeting a lot of new people in the industry and running all over the state gearing up jobs.

Right now I have two jobs going on, the first is a $4.6M rehab on a property which consists of 167 units in both a 3 story mid-rise and 18 townhomes.  We have been replacing cabinets, doors, shelving, electrical services, countertops, appliances, tubs, toilets, sinks, faucets, windows, flooring, ect, ect, ect.  The list is pretty extensive.  The second job is a $2.4M rehab in a 100 unit, 5 story mid-rise senior community.  The list is pretty much the same as above.

This job has been fun in that I get to know different maintenance teams and see how they operate.  I can also take my experience in the field and apply it when planning the jobs.  For instance we upgraded the bypass hardware to a system that more resembles pocket door hardware; the door has two- four wheeled trollies which can not fall out of the track.  This cuts out all the work orders for doors that have fallen off track.  The supervisor said they could get upwards of 10 per week before the change! 

So that's my update.  I start a new job in a few weeks and will get busy again.  Right now both of the jobs are winding down, which gives me some time to organize the future jobs and rest up for the next long haul.

No comments:

Post a Comment