Tuesday, December 13, 2011

"Ten Tools" Day 3

 So day three brings a tool I think everybody has at least seen and most know how to use. Used right a multimeter can have more uses than a Swiss Army knife.  I use my meters almost every day.  If you don't know how to use one or don't own one I suggest you go out tomorrow and buy one and find somebody who can train you how to use it.  Avoid those cheap meters if you are not familiar with the tool and go with an more expensive auto-ranging meter, this should make learning how to use the tool much easier.  The following information is VERY basic, for more info I have included a few links at the bottom of the post. 

Multimeter

 
Every good maintenance man knows the value of a good multimeter.  We can use muti-meters to fix furnaces, air conditioners, stoves, refridgerators, and many more things in the apartments.  Mine is in some ways a lifeline I don't know what I would do without.  There are many out there with endless options and price points to choose from.  I have two meters; one being more portable than the other.  My first is the Craftsman pictured above.  In my opinion auto-ranging is really the only way to go.  This means you don't have to choose the range of power the meter is measuring, just switch to AC, DC, Mfd, or another of the settings, and go.  Also, be sure it has the ability to test mfd for capacitors and a k type slot to plug in a temperature probe or clamp for AC superheat and sub-cool measurements.  The only feature this meter didn't have was the clamp head..  For that I went with a UIE G2 Phoenix series clamp meter.  The clamp head will tell you how many amps a device such as a compressor is drawing.  This comes in handy when working on some of the older AC or refrigerator units some of our older, aging properties have.  I love the backlight/ worklight feature of this meter and the magnet on the back.  This also has the ability to test mfd and has the k type slot for temperature probes, of which one is included along with your electrical probe and alligator clip attachments.  It also has the ability to switch out heads for more flexibility.  All these options come with a much larger price tag but the ease of use makes up for it.  Check out the models carefully and be sure to get all the options you might want, you won't regret it.

If you have never been trained on how to use these tools you are probably missing out on how versatile they are.  I use mine to check compressors on refrigerators and AC units using the clamp head on my UIE.  I have a micro-amp head that I use to check flame sensors and my temperature probe to check the degrees Fahrenheit output of furnaces.  I can check fuses, ignitors, and many other parts using the continuity setting.  I have even checked parts on our golf cart using the DC function.  Dryers, washers, dishwashers, furnaces, refrigerators, stoves, even garbage disposals, outlets, switches, and anything else electrical can be tested in one way or another with the right multimeter.  All it takes is a little know how and the right tool.


LINKS FOR MORE INFO

Sparkfun- how to use a multi-meter:  This is a basic but still informative article


wikihow- how to use a multi-meter:  This is a pretty detailed and includes a link to a YouTube video

The Family Handyman:  One of my favorite magazines teaches how to use a multi-meter.




No comments:

Post a Comment